
Nizwa, the nearest sizable town
Local folks engaging in the national pastime, hanging out

In the 3+ months that I've been in Oman, the afternoon temperature has gone from 115 to 75. It's no longer too hot to go to the beach or hike the hills looking at birds. Now I sleep under a quilt with the windows open listening to the wind rattle the palm fronds. A few days ago we had our first sand storm. I was distracted in class by the sound of what I thought was rain beating on the roof, but it turned out to be rocks hurled against the building by the gale. I'm told the storm wasn't much by local standards, but I'd left the windows open and when I got home, I was amazed to find my bed under an impressive dune. The fine brown grit, so different from black, sticky New York dust, is everywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment