Tuesday, February 5, 2008

More scenes of Salalah

I don't normally think of camels strolling on the beach, but there were dozens in Salalah. I often saw the police exercising their horses on the hard sand just at the edge of the water, with the occasional donkey, camel or goat in their midst.
This was taken with a zoom lense. The donkey had just emerged from a cave high on a sheer rock face. How did he get up there?
This wadi was a great spot for birds (African paradise flycatcher, African rock bunting, Ruppell's weaver, Palestine sunbirds and many more) and nursing baby camels.
Fabulous spot for Tristram's grackles with their gorgeous orange wings, steppe eagles, imperial eagles, Eygptian vultures, desert crested larks and fan-tailed ravens. No sound but the wind and the birds.
This tree, the name of which I've not been able to discover, was described as useless...."not even goats or camels will eat it." They make a beautiful pattern of the steep sides of the sink holes.

No comments: